Recipe for 4 people:
1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1/2 orange pepper thinly sliced
1/2 yellow pepper thinly sliced
1/8 cup fresh oregano finely chopped
1/8 cup fresh sage finely chopped
1/8 cup Fresh thyme finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh rosemary finely chopped
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
2 cups flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup semolina flour
2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons salt pink Himalayan
1/4 cup olive oil plus more for greasing
1 teaspoon zaatar spice blend
1. In a large bowl add the flour, semolina flour and mix together. Create a well in the center and add the warm water, yeast and sugar and mix gently. Let foam for 5 minutes.
2. Mix well, add the salt and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Kneed in the bowl until it becomes a dough. Place a towel on top and put in a warm place for 25 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
4. Prepare a large skillet on high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and get hot. Add the peppers, fresh herbs, balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of honey. Let cook for 5 minutes, mixing often.
5. Roll out dough on sheet pan into a large circle. Add the pepper topping to the center of the dough. Using your fingertips, wet all around the edge of the dough. Join all corners, creating a triangle. Pinch really tightly to ensure it doesn’t open during baking.
6. Brush top with water and a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle with zaatar and drizzle the remaining tablespoon of honey. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove, let slightly cool and slice at the table.
Notes & Tips:
This dough does not need to rise that much to be delicious. Feel free to play with this recipe as much as you would like; Here are some alternative ideas; add Bulgarian cheese to the center, use different fresh herbs like cilantro, basil and mint, or only 1 or 2 of the ones listed below, add onions instead of just peppers.
Click here to sign up for our FREE weekly Israelicious video and recipe from Chef Zissie!